Tuesday, December 13, 2022

What's in a Name - Specials 2018 - 2020

The first year, there weren't any specials, but the next year I managed to get a little better organized and was able to produce a few. More recently I've managed one special release per month, excepting January & the Persie month.


Our first Special was Pumpkin Pie, a chestnut dun donkey. She was released on Halloween in 2018.

I originally wanted this to be a flaxen chestnut pinto named Candy Corn, but I learned that red spotted donkeys could not exist, so I had to change my plans. Pumpkin is named for that popular Thanksgiving dessert - not very Halloweeny, but appropriate for her colour.


Our second Special was a portrait of my childhood pony, Silverado.

Sil was a black few spot varnish appaloosa Pony of the Americas. He has his own blog post, so I won't go on about him too much here.

The Sil's shading all varied a bit, but they all had his trademark markings. He was released on December 15th, 2018 and was the last special of 2018.


Cherry Cordial was the first special of 2019, and for some reason, I always think of her as our first ever special, before Pumpkin & Sil.

Cherry is a silver bay with a hooked blaze and two socks. She was named after my favourite type of Valentines' Day candy. She was released on February 16, 2019.


 Daffodil was our first foal special and the first Magpie flocky since the Dream Pony days. She was released on April 27, 2019.

Daffy is a palomino tobiano, somewhat reminiscent of Misty of Chincoteague. Each fuzzy little foal had similar, though not identical markings. Her name was inspired by her colouring and the time of year she was released.


 Candy Corn was the 2019 Halloween special and was released on October 25th.

I still wanted my Candy Corn after having to change my idea for Pumpkin, and I think the idea turned out pretty well on the Arabian. There were two Easter Eggs testing this model - a masked version and an airbrushed version.


She really should have a brighter mane and tail as candy corn is white, orange, and yellow, but this colour of hair looked the best with her coat colour.


We had a Christmas fairy in the form of a spotted black ivory donkey. She was released on December 15, 2019.


Titania was named for the Queen of the Fairies in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. 

 




 Each model has a slightly different spotting pattern.


 The Language of Flowers was the first release of 2020, on February 9th. The pony before the plague.


I was wanting something Valentine-ish for this model, but nothing too sappy. Floriography has been used for centuries, but was particularly popular in the Victorian era. It could be used for messages of love.... or other sentiments. 

Florie is a dark perlino with bluish eyes and a tiny star.


Due to the chaos caused by the plague, there wasn't another special in 2020 until August 30th. Fiesta is shown with the Spring Foals.


Séance was the 2020 Halloween horse, released on October 31st. I thought her name suited her somewhat ethereal colour.


I had intended her to be a much lighter grey like the test I had created on the Grand Champion model below, but things got a little out of hand.

 

This shade of grey is often referred to as "mulberry" grey.


Capercaillie was the final special of 2020 and the first of my Fjord adults. I'm not sure why, but I decided on a bird theme for these models.

I thought the black "horse of the forest" would be appropriate for a black dun pony in Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment