Thursday, November 24, 2022

Dream a Little Dream - Vintage Dream Ponies

Back in the early days of the brand, when Dream Pony and Magpie had a larger staff and more energy, it was possible to order custom painted models. These days, we have a staff of one - me - and the last custom order I took on just about drove myself and my family around the bend. 😄

One never knows what is going to pop up next in the Magpie Collectors Facebook Group; in July of 2022, a lovely little group of 1980s Custom Order Dream Ponies went up for silent auction.

After a fierce battle, they came to live with me, along with an original rug and saddle, too.

 



EFF Saladin is the hunter mold in a dapple grey with a large blaze and four socks. His hair was rather worse for wear, but I didn't want to alter him too much from his original state, so I just trimmed a few ragged ends and left him alone.

Saladin's name was originally "Moccasin" after the grey Arabian owned by the original owner's friend.


EFF Immortal Hour is the Arabian mold in bay dun with a blaze and one white pastern. 

Her name was originally "Phantom" and according to her previous owner "she was named after the Phantom Horse books by Christine Pullein Thompson...  even though she is more dun than palomino, that was a mere technicality to 11 year old me."


EFF Reflection of Clouds is the Welsh mold in a dapple grey with a blaze and one sock.

The origin of his original name, Alaric, in the words of his previous owner: "If l remember right he was named after reading the book Mylor, the Most Powerful Horse in the World. I think Alaric was Mylor’s opponent in the Grand National.. I’m not sure a Welsh would quite have done it but 11 year old me definitely thought it possible."


EFF Mr. Smee (my Shetlands tend to get names inspired by Peter Pan), is a flaxen chestnut roan Shetland Pony with a large blaze, four socks, and the most exuberant mane and tail.

This model's first name was Cloudy Day and according to his original owner: "I learned to ride on a fat Shetland pony called Poppet when l was about 5. This chap looks something like him!"

 


 EFF Gold Spinner is the matching foal of Immortal Hour and is a bay dun with elongated star and one sock.

His original name was Sultan and he was named after his owner's "grumpy fat pony".

No comments:

Post a Comment