Friday, October 21, 2022

What's in a Name - Personality Collection Fifteen (2022)

 The theme for this year was "flowers in songs from the 90s". I was listening to a lot of music while painting; I prefer audio books while I'm working, but when the air compressor for the airbrush kicks on, you end up losing whole paragraphs in a story, so music is better at that time.


Desert Rose, is a buckskin dun with four socks, a star, and a snip. Her colour was inspired by the 1993 Persie, Walnut Whip. I liked the colour so much after making the foal, Fondant, that I made an Easter Egg, and began planning a Persie of my own.

Her name was inspired by the song by the same name from the 1999 Sting album, Brand New Day, featuring Cheb Mami.


 

The Hunter mold always looks a bit goofy in the concept picture.  I originally envisioned a more chocolate brown, but didn't like it that much on the model and so I took her a bit darker. She was also going to be without and white markings, but when I was prepping the white markings on Lily, I decided Rose needed some flashy socks.




Lily is a flaxen chestnut flea-bitten grey with hind socks and a large snip. Her colour varied from light to dark, depending on the density of her flea-bites. I look at her as a "grown-up" version of the catalogue Dream Pony in light grey.

Lily takes her name from the song Lily (My One and Only), featured on the second disk of the 1995 Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness album by the Smashing Pumpkins.



 

My original concept for Lily was a bay flea-bitten grey with four socks, but when it came time to paint, she refused to move beyond the chestnut stage. Maybe one day I'll make her bay sister.


Morning Glory is a Chimeric black and chestnut tobiano, inspired by the Icelandic Pony Litningur frá Mörðufelli, who was all over the model horse hobby in 2021/22 - Breyer & Peter Stone produced models inspired by him as well. 

Each Morning Glory has slightly different markings, though all feature four white legs and a star (one has a broken stripe instead).

Morning Glory takes his name from the song of the same name from the 1995 Oasis album (What's the Story) Morning Glory?



This model turned out the closest to the concept art out of the three, though I did decide to go with chestnut instead of flaxen for his mane & forelock - most only have the chestnut colour in the forelock due to the placement of their white pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment