Saturday, August 27, 2022

Wintertime - Shell Preparation

 In January I take a little break in the Specials schedule to recover from Xmas and deal with the winter birthdays. At the end of the month I start preparing the shells for the year's models. This process goes on through the spring!

First I go out to the Magpie shed, count out the
models I'll need for the year, and bring them back to
the Wash House Studio in big bags

Next I use a carbide scraper to remove the molding seams and
assorted bumps and weird spots.
This part takes about 15 minutes per model - around 10 minutes for a Foal


I started with the white scraper and eventually bought the variety set. 
The white scraper is still my favourite.


After the scraping, I use a dremel to remove the thick groin seams
and other spots which were too awkward for the carbide scraper.

I use Humbrol Precision Poly Cement to glue the models
together and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap.

I leave the glued models to set overnight.

Before removing the wrapping, I use the dremel again to widen
the neck slit and tail holes on some of the molds - the Hunter
doesn't need this. The Arabian needs the neck slit only.
The other molds need neck and tail hole done.

After unwrapping, the model gets an all-over sanding to
smooth things down a touch, and, if needed some extra
attention with the scraper on areas where the glue overflowed.

The models are pretty gritty and dusty and have picked
up a lot of oil from my hands, so they get a scrub in a
hot bath with some dish soap and a nail brush.

A pile of Hunters before their rinse.



The washed models spend a few days on their backs,
letting the water drain and generally drying off

While the shells are drying, I do my Spring cleaning and
sweep away the carnage from the shell prep.
This generally occurs sometime in May and comes as a welcome break.




No comments:

Post a Comment